WHAT BIRDPEDIA CAN DO FOR YOU*
- The 'HOT LINE' - Receive information by email about recent bird sightings.
- Get a list of the good birding spots within easy reach of your home or holiday destination.
- Get detailed information about 100's of birding sites – Pictures, Maps, Bird List, Field Trip Reports.
- Print Bird Lists for Country, State or Birding Sites.
- Consult the 'Field Guide' – Pictures, Distribution Maps, Breeding Seasons and lots more. You can even listen to the bird's songs and calls! Click a bird's name in any Bird List and go straight to that bird's page in the 'Field Guide'.
- Visit the 'Gallery' – Lots of photos provided by members. A great place for browsing on a wet day or as an aid to bird identification.
- Challenge your identification skills with images or bird sounds.
- Get up-to-date information about Meetings and Field Trips.
- Create you own Bird Lists – Life List, Year List, Holiday List, Local Patch List, Wish List.
- Find Links to other great Internet Bird Sites.
- Help make Birdpedia even better by contributing Ideas, Pictures and Information.
* Not all features are currently available on all sites - but that is where you come in.
Birding Sites - Call for Assistance
Birdpedia - Australia currently has a list of over 5800 birding sites. However, many are lacking a bird list. This is a call for birders to pick one or two (or more) in your area and add a field trip report. This will get a list started.
If you visit that site often and feel you would like to take over maintenance of that record so that others can get assistance from your knowledge then apply to become administrator of that birding site. Just locate the site in the Reserves list (click on Reserves in left margin), click on the title of that reserve and send us a communication via the link at the bottom of the details page. Administrators can even add species directly without having to enter a field trip report.
The aim is to make Birdpedia - Australia your first stop for information about birding locations throughout the country and with your help we can make it a reality.
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Martyn.
Do you want to find out more about a particular species? Then consult the Birdpedia Field Guide. The Field Guide contains information on all the species of the world (uses a combination of BirdLife International and Sibley & Monroe taxonomies).
Use the Birds link in the top menu or the Species Database link in the left menu or click Locate Species. If you cannot find information on a particular species let us know and we will make it a priority to update that species account as soon as possible.
The Latest International News
For the latest news stories from around the world see our International News Page.
Report Your Field Trips
Do you have any field trips to report? Well, registered users can now report field trips that they feel may be of interest to others. Just login, go to your Personal page and select the appropriate Add New link.
If you wish to be notified whenever a particular species is reported in a field trip just check those species that you are interested in using the link on your Personal page. You will be notified via email whenever the species is reported.
For Reserve field trips (related to a Birdpedia Reserve), select:
For General field trips (not related to a particular sight, travel log), select:
Report Your Sightings
Do you have any interesting sightings to report? Well, registered users can now report sightings that they feel may be of interest to others. Just login, go to your Personal page and select the appropriate Add New link.
If you wish to be notified of new sightings don't forget to select the areas of interest and check the relevent box in your personal notification settings. All postings and changes to prior posts will be emailed to you immediately. An SMS notification service is also available via subscription.
For General sightings (one or more species), select:
Note: Members can now post their General Sighting Reports in the field using any web enabled mobile device.
For Specific Species* sightings (one species with specific details), select:
Note: *Only members that have requested notification of a species will be notified when you post a Specific Species Sighting (see Help below). In contrast, ALL members that have activated their notification request, will be notified when you post a General Sighting. For full details on who and when members are notified please consult the Help files.
Please see our Specific Species Sighting Report Page or General Sighting Report Page for more details.
Are you aware that you can use this site to:
We are Looking for Image, Audio and Movie Files for our Database
We are looking for image, audio and movie files of some species to complete our catalog. If you would like to contribute files please check:
Birdpedia - Australia only
See 'How to Submit Images' for further information.
See some of the contributions (images, audio and video) uploaded by members. Want to become a Member? Find out how by consulting the Registration instructions page (registration is free). Or Register Now.
For information on contributors to the Birdpedia database please see 'Birdpedia Database Contributors'
Looking for Bird Lists?
If you need a Species List for a particular site check out the Reserve List. If you are a registered user you can enter your own field trip lists. Check the instructions on how to do it.
Would you like to submit information?
Do you want to submit information for inclusion in the Birdpedia database but do not want to sign up? Find out 'How to Submit Information'.